Monday 30 November 2009

Cisterns.

I didn't understand my lecture today, (or maybe there wasn't anything to understand), so I sat and pondered for an hour. I've been thinking about value quite a bit recently, and how much I put on what, how much I think should be put on what, and why these numbers don't match up.

In my seminar we discussed essays, and when people found out I hadn't started reading yet, they looked fearful...but something quite cool is that I don't mind. I'm not at all worried. God's really good, and hasn't yet let me down. Academics mean nothing to me aside from an opportunity to glorify God, so it's really not something to get too stressed about. Good times? Yes. Yes!

Anyway, so on the theme of value again, I was thinking about consumerism (as this I think was part of the lecture) and it made me laugh sadly how fickle we're capable of being. The lecturer was talking about how new fashions came about in the 1600s and how people would try to emulate what the aristocracy were wearing/eating/doing. How they got their sense of status from what pattern was on their new china-cup, and how every time a new design came out they'd have to have it. I may not buy china-cups, but there's always something. In the west we're such a consumerist society, always looking for things to fill our lives with, and as soon as we get what we want, we set our heart on something else. Perpetually. I collect sand on which to build my house and put it in a bucket with a hole in the bottom. It just slips straight out again, and leaves a trail behind me as I walk no where in particular.


When heaven meets the earth,
We will have no use for numbers
To measure who we are and what we’re worth.

When Heaven meets the earth,
We will have no need for mirrors
To tell us who to be
And where we fit into this awkward point of view.

I set my heart on You.

No comments:

Post a Comment