Sunday 27 September 2009

Descent.

Last night I went to watch the SutCo production of Paradise Lost. Based on Milton's poem, the play depicts the fall of man and battle between Heaven and Hell. I sat with Dave on one side and a stranger on the other. Halfway through I was surprised by tears flowing quite freely down my cheeks, silent and fearless. It's natural to want to shout to Eve and tell her not to do it, not to ruin the bliss she has, not to believe what the devil says, not to disobey God...but as they acted the scenes it was like looking into a mirror. I saw myself walking with Adam, swearing reliability, failing. Myself, with others, promising integrity, failing. Myself, in all things, making wrong decisions to disobey God. If I were Eve I would have done the same, and had I heard a young woman crying out to stop my hand...I would ignore her pleads- and often do. What killed me most was how Adam got dragged into equal misery, how something as beautiful as their pure relationship was made into a vehicle for destruction of their perfect life with the creator. That's just cruel. And again, the mirror of the stage showed me my own part played.

Praise the lord that He's slow to anger and abounding in love. His grace is prodigal. I think it's amazing. Really really.

Church shopping commences tomorrow. I have not been to church in 2 weeks. I'm craving. Oh my word! I am excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment